Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Where did my hips go?!


Somewhere between 10 and 11 weeks pregnant I woke up to a very disturbing discovery. My hips were gone. I went to bed and they were still there. I woke up and they were gone. Panic! Is this normal?!
I texted my sister in law, July, who had just had her first baby and she said that she remembered all kinds of bones start to go missing during pregnancy and not to worry, they all come back after the baby was born. I texted my sister in law, Erin and mother of two, and she said that this sounded about right. Neither of these answers comforted me to the level I needed. No offense ladies. I searched web-md and my pregnancy books and none of them said anything about this phenomenon.
I can be a bit of a hypochondriac and pregnancy only amplifies this trait. So I called my doctor. I am somewhat certain that my doctors have my file red-flagged, for calls just like this. The doctor reassured me that my hips weren't "gone" but were shifting into position for the baby. And that they would in fact return to there original position after baby H was born. She also told me that "most" women don't even notice this body change and that I must be "very in tune to my body". She also tried to tell me that this change, like I reported, did not happen over night. I disagree. My hips were there when I went to sleep! This was my first, OMG pregnancy symptom. I thought I was well read and talked to enough women to know what to expect, but apparently I still have a few surprises ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment