Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Baby's First Vaca


I was only about 6 weeks along when we had a vacation planned to Hawaii with some of my family. I had had my first doctor appointment already confirming the pregnancy but still it was really early. I didn't want to share our news yet but didn't see any way around it. On the first night over dinner I was going to tell my family. They would certainly notice somewhat quickly that I would not be surfing, scuba diving or enjoying a Mai Tia or two. And I wanted to make sure that I told them before they became suspicious.

We sat down to dinner and I waited for the perfect window to fit it in. We started talking about upcoming birthdays. Kyle, my dad and I all had birthdays that were nearing. My dad likes to tell the story that the day I was born his beeper fell into the hospital toilet. This is what he remembers the most about that day. That and that his first daughter, 5th child was born!

So I asked what everyone remembered most about the day our nephew Jacob was born. Everyone else told their story and then I went. I told them that I remember it as the day Kyle and I found out we were going to become parents. My dad did his big bugged eyed, deep breath thing that he does when one of shocks him. Which doesn't happen often but it was pretty classic. And my brother, Tim, nearly chocked on his salad. Funny stuff:)

Hawaii was great! I can tell that even at only 6 weeks gestation, Baby H loves Hawaii just as much as I do. I love Chicago and being a Chicagoan but really think I am meant to be a Maui dwelling Hawaiian. Now if only Baby H and I could convince Kyle:) You'd come visit us, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment