Thursday, September 17, 2009

Choosing Unity


During our wedding, our officiant's main theme was that we should "chose unity." His point was that we'd have the opportunity to make several choices every day during our marriage, from how to handle an argument, to where to go for dinner. And with these choices we should strive to make the ones that promoted unity. A nice message we thought.

Since then, during any disagreement in our household, no matter how heated or inane, Kyle would look at me and with a very serious tone and look say, "Kathy, choose unity." And we would just start laughing. It's his default answer when he doesn't want to engage in an argument, when he doesn't want to do something, or when he wants to convince me to do something. He'll say, 'Kathy, I choose unity, do you?" or "fine, go
ahead and turn the Packer game off, I understand if you don't want to choose unity." Although sometimes it makes me want to punch him, I know that he is thinking of our wedding and that the small things can be simply worked out by "choosing unity."

With our wedding anniversary around the corner, we would like to "choose unity" but are separated by our nation's combat operations. However, unity doesn't require proximity. Despite the distance, we still choose unity by staying involved in each other's days and decisions- from the mundane, to the important. Just like Simba's football jerseys. I could have simply put on his Bears jersey but NO!, I "chose unity"!

No comments:

Post a Comment