Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

9/11 occurred when Kyle and I were still in College. My roommate, Stacey, and I were still sleeping when the events began. Our dorm room phone kept ringing but neither of us budged from bed. When the phone rang for a fourth time I finally got up and answered it. The news of the days events were explained to me from the other end of the phone. The events were all still unfolding. Several of our friends all watched in one room as more and more details came to light. We were all scared and unsure of what to do. I remember sitting with Kyle and I asked him, "Not to go too far away today." He replied, "Where would I go? And besides I never want to be too far away from you."

A few years later Kyle worked at the Pentagon, near the area that the airplane struck that day. He organized a personal tour for me with a survivor of the attacks. His story, like many others, was a matter of minutes, a few feet between him surviving and those who were victims. He had no visible scars or injuries remaining from that day, only the kind you could hear in his voice as he described what happened.

In 2006, I met one of the most interesting individuals in my life. We were working together on a set when I learned his horror story of 9/11. He, his wife and two children were on vacation in NY. His daughter had just auditioned at Julliard. On the morning of 9/11, he drove his family to airport to fly home and he stayed behind for business. His family was in the airplane that struck the first twin tower.

9-11-2001 is a day so tragic and truly unforgettable. Today I remember every rescuer who died in honor. I will keep in my thoughts every family that lives in grief over the loss of a loved one. I will remember, the last phone calls, the sad days that followed in our nation, and the many men and women that fight to keep our great country safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment