Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Vote NO on Painting-- as Democrates say: "vote early, vote often!"

I have to relate Kathy's painting prowess (or lack thereof) so that you can make the right choice on the poll. If you already voted, no worries-- just vote again as a guest.

About two years ago, when we first moved to Chicago, Kathy desperately wanted to paint the small two bedroom condo we'd rented. Even though the lease did not allow it, I said go ahead-- so long as Kathy painted the walls back to white when we moved out. Kathy moved down and started painting almost a week before me. When I arrived, the 1300 square foot place was still no where near done. What's worst, Kathy decided she only liked to paint the center of the walls and not the edges becase they were no fun. At least she had painted over all of the painter's tape she had laid- which I had to scape off with a razor blade because the paint had dried over it days earlier. The only room that was completed was one of the bathrooms-- painted a deep blue to signify that it was the only bathroom boys could use. Of course the only reason it was complete is because our friend Deanne had done it. If not for Deanne, Anni, my sister, and unfortunately my help, the place never would have been painted.

When it came time to move out a year and a half later, Kathy refused to have any hand in repainting the walls white. When she finally agreed to live up to her promise, I came home to find the bathroom and front hallway a gleaming, bright white. Kathy had painted all of those walls using the door frame trim paint. Eventually, I had to hire a gang of professionals to come in and paint on the day we moved out-- it took them only about 4 hours. Kathy swore up and down through out the experience that she was never going to paint anything other than her nails again. Help her keep her word this time, vote Heck NO to painting.

*The author reserves the right to veto any painting project regardless of the results of this poll, and comments herein are not to be construed in any as an agreement to abide by the results of any such poll.

2 comments:

  1. To clarify. Kyle exaggerates. AND it was my first painting experience, I learned a lot from my mistakes and feel that this time would really go more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy's Big Bro, BrianApril 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM

    Why not? I say go for it. The carpet isn't an issue though. You can buy a very cheap plastic tarp and you shouldn't have any problems. I actually started my own big painting project on Sunday. Just take it slow. Finding the right color isn't easy, so you can buy a small paint can and try it out to make sure you like it. Paint the edges first, then the middle. And do 2 coats of paint. It's only paint, so how much trouble can you really get into?

    ReplyDelete