Friday, October 9, 2009

Hello My Name is...


I think it started with my car. I always named my cars. First, there was Sally, then came Monty, and now we have Ben. I always refer to my car by its name and never by its make or model. B.K (before Kathy) Kyle's vehicle didn't have names. This didn't last long. The name game doesn't stop with just cars. Anything Kyle and I own (or will own eventually, after just a few more payments!) has a name. For example, Kyle's flat screen tv, is Sam (because it's a Samsung), Kyle affectionately calls my engagement ring "little Harley," there's Dusty the treadmill, and the list goes on and on.

Its just like the army, which also affectionately names its enemies, soldiers, equipment. In WWII German soldiers were "Jerry," in Vietnam the VC and NVA where "Charlie," and today in Iraq and Afghanistan its "Haji." US soldiers have always been called "Joe," riding in vehicles like the "Brad" (the Bradley armored fighting vehicle) and carrying weapons like the "Ma Deuce" (the M2 .50 caliber machine gun). Even the popular civilian Hummer is derived from the nickname given to the Army's M1024 HMMWV (Highly Mobile Maneuverable Wheeled Vehicle) which was nicknamed the HumVee.

No comments:

Post a Comment