Friday, May 1, 2009

Word Vomit


Sometimes, on occasion, I have something Kyle affectionately calls: Word Vomit. If I'm nervous or in a situation that is uncomfortable or have had more than one glass of wine, the word vomit can come out.
Word Vomit, for me is when I go on and on, in far too much detail about something. Or when I fill an awkward silence with something completely out of left field. In a social setting Kyle will throw me a look or take my hand in a way that says, "ok, honey..." and the word vomit stops. I have found that this vice, in his absence, has gotten,unfortunately, more frequent. The worst part about this fault is that I know when I am doing it, and complain to Kyle later that my flaw is out, in full display. In an effort to "fix" my problem, like all men like to do, he started formulating a plan to deconstruct this behavior.

His solution: Kyle suggested that I write a reminder to myself on my hand. Something like writing "word" on the palm of my hand with a slash through it.

His Concern: Kyle thought this idea through a little more thoroughly and decided that his solution might have the exact opposite effect. He thought if someone saw the reminder and asked, that it might cause the word vomit to come out in greater force.

Other problem solving solutions are still being constructed at this time. Kind hearted suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment