Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mrs. Fix-it


It all started in January when Kyle was training in Florida. The temperature were well blow zero for several days in a row and our pipes froze. What do I do now? I researched on the www and began the process. Purchased a few space heaters, cranked up the furnace and in an effort to speed up the process, sat with hairdryers pointed directly at the pipes. This "speed up" tactic blew a fuse. Yes, I know this is something I should have known how to fix being an adult well in her 20s but didn't. Perhaps its a product of being in a family of all boys. But these fix it things were never my domain. Now, as home owners, and with Mr. Fix-it oceans away, I have become Mrs. Fix-it. I have even found some pretty nifty website to aid in my projects.
However, I will be the first to admit that they haven't all gone well. In fact my brother, James, complains that its like have two wives. I ask a lot of him but am grateful for all his help:) (I bet Tim had no idea he was going to be put to work when he stayed here in March. And with Brian coming in Sept. I will have lots for him to help with!)
Kyle and I were chatting about one of my recent handy feats when he said, "Looks like my jobs around the house might be obsolete?" I assured him this was not the case. I STILL can't fix the dog gate, even my handy brother couldn't. It must be broken! AND the ceiling fan in our bedroom continues to be smarter than I am. So don't worry Kyle, there will always be lots on your "honey dew list" for you to do! But I have to say I feel a sense of accomplishment every time I am able to cross a "honey dew" item off his list.
I am constantly looking for the positives in having Kyle in Iraq this year. These fix it items have given me a new sense of independence. It has also pushed my brother to teach his daughter everything he is showing me, so she doesn't become an adult with no home fixing skills. And although its been great learning new things, I am happy to pass the Fix-it baton back to Kyle ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment